Friday, May 16, 2014

Review: Boundless by Cynthia Hand


Boundless by Cynthia Hand
Series: Unearthly, #3
Publisher: HarperTeen
Published:January 22, 2013
Pages: 434

The past few years held more surprises than part-angel Clara Gardner ever could have anticipated. Yet through the dizzying high of falling in love for the first time and the agonizing low of losing someone close to her, one thing that remained constant was the knowledge that she was never meant to have a normal life. Now, as the battle against the Black Wings and their minions looms on the horizon, Clara is finally ready to fulfill her destiny. But it won't come without sacrifices and betrayal.
I received an ARC from the author in a giveaway (because Cynthia Hand is awesome and puts books lying around to good use). This in no way affects the content of my review.

To all who doubted the ability of this book to end in a satisfying way - be gone naysayers!


Wrapping up any series is always really hard for an author - they have to balance the integrity of the story with fan expectations. And to me, the best endings are the one's that always stay true to the story. I don't always agree with them, but I can't argue with them, if you get what I mean. This was one of those endings, and I just so happened to absolutely and utterly enjoy it. No, I'm not telling you what that means.

I think the first thing I should warn people about is that some people will read this book solely for discovering who ends up with whom. And these people will then go and say that the ending is all about that. It's not, I say! It's NOT! 
The love story of these books is undeniably one of the most beautiful love stories I have ever read - I do not lie guys, it is epic. But because of the role of choice, fate, higher powers, free will, knowledge of the future, flaws, and all these things I believe in so strongly because they are real. 

Ultimately, Hand made her use of the paranormal real. She took this concept of angels, and used them as a tool that relates very well to our modern world. Okay, I'll stop being vague. She doesn't give all the answers. The angels don't give all the answers. Clara is still left with a lot of ambiguity in the end, but it's resolved ambiguity. There. That's what I've been trying to say, and that's why loved this book so much. 
Also, EVERYTHING YOU THOUGHT WAS WRONG MWHAHAHAHA. Aka, plot twist, that was beautiful, and ties into the beautiful overarching design I talked about above. 
*cackles* sorry couldn't help myself
Don't get me wrong, some of this book is devastatingly sad. And to those of you who have been reading my reviews for awhile, yes, you suddenly understand why I loved this book so much because I love sad things (like Will Graham, you puppy, I want to take you home). 

I loved how Jeffrey and Angela's plotlines are wrapped up. I'll just say, if you every thought these guys were leftovers...they are definitely not leftovers...
In fact, this was just damn good writing, and kudos to Hand for putting together one of the most solid stories I've seen in years. And if all this is not enough to convince you that I genuinely thought this a fantastic piece of literature, I present, my initial reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment