Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Review: Exiled by M.R. Merrick


Exiled by M.R. Merrick
Series: The Protector, #1
Published: April 12, 2012
Publisher: Self-Published
Pages: 264

Chase Williams is a demon hunter in the Circle, or at least he was supposed to be. On his fifteenth birthday, Chase stepped up to the altar to claim his elemental power, but it never came. Elemental magic is passed down to a hunter through the bloodline, but on Chase's birthday, the bloodline stopped. Exiled without the Circle's protection, Chase has spent two years trying to survive a world riddled with half-demons and magic. When he has a run in with a frightened and seemingly innocent demon, he learns the Circle's agenda has changed: the Circle plans to unlock a portal and unleash pure-blood demons into the world. Vowing to stop them, and knowing he can't do it alone, Chase forms a reluctant alliance with Rayna - a sexy witch with an attitude and a secret. In their attempt to stop them however, Chase and Rayna find themselves in the middle of the Circle's plan, leaving one of them to decide what their friendship is worth, and the other's life depending on it.

Thanks to the author for sending a copy of this book!

I have been eyeing Merrick’s books for a long time. So long that’s it’s pathetic I didn’t pick them up sooner. But as soon as I heard from Val about the tour for the release of his new book, I jumped on board. And I’ve finally sat down to read Exiled. And, boy, am I glad that I ever.


I’ll admit it, I didn’t like the beginning. Or rather, I felt as if there wasn’t much of a beginning. I know some people like it when books jump right into the gist of things, and, honestly, it’s a stylistic preference. Me, though, I like my introductions. Despite the fact that I felt as if I were rushing into the midst of a problem though, Merrick did an incredible job of bringing me up to speed.

Not long after the ‘beginning,’ I found myself completely invested in the story. I fell for Chase, and the situation he’d been thrust into. Rayna might be the embodiment of everything I love in a character. While the plotline of ‘Hunters’ vs. ‘Demons’ might be familiar, Merrick made uniquely his own by pulling a few fresh twists here and there. Oh, and Willy! You know that tertiary character that’s kind of awkwardly hanging out in the background, and you fall in love with them just for being there and being awkward? That’s Willy. He’s so darn cute, I really hope I get to see more of him in Shift.

I’ll admit, I’m not sure how I feel about the adults in the story yet; Riley is evil, almost too evil…but I feel as if there’s something else going on underneath the surface that’ll be revealed later, so I won’t judge him yet. I didn’t see much of Chase’s mother, but it’s clear right off the bat that he cares about her. Again, though, I feel as if I’m missing some crucial history, and that’s nagging at me…And as for Marcus, I really don’t get him. I don’t not like getting characters. At all. Which is probably what’s putting me off, so I can’t wait to find out more in the next books. But I will say, every other character that Merrick introduces, I form a bond with. I love the trolls, I love the goblin (don’t make a goblin mad guys!!!), I even kinda love Vincent, and I love the bird. Any character that carries a bird on his/her shoulder is instantly awesome.

Fan’s of fantasy should definitely check this one out; I’ll keep you all updated as I continue reading the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment