Thursday, April 25, 2013

Review: Stardust by Neil Gaiman


Stardust by Neil Gaiman
Series: None
Published: October 28, 1998
Publisher: DC Comics
Pages:248

Catch a fallen star...
Tristan Thorn promised to bring back a fallen star. So he sets out on a journey to fulfill the request of his beloved, the hauntingly beautiful Victoria Forester - and stumbles into the enchanted realm that lies beyond the wall of his English country town. Rich with adventure and magic, Stardust is one of master storyteller Neil Gaiman's most beloved tales, and the inspiration for the hit movie.



I’m very tempted to give this five stars, mind you. But I’m afraid that’s my heart swaying towards my great love for whimsical fantasy novels, and not the objective part - which tells me, Makayla, you didn’t take any notes on this book. ANY AT ALL. 

Looking at some of the quotes on goodreads, I think I know why this is. This book reads like poetry. Normally, I try to pick out the poetic moments in books (because I truly believe that the best prose is poetic), but that was basically this entire book. So I couldn’t exactly go underling everything…

But while being beautifully and fantabulously written, it was very silly. Let me clarify. In my mind, silly is good. Brilliant. Fantastic. Props to my parents, who put up with my 12 year old (and many other ages) self - Which mainly meant taking me to see strange and wonderful movies. I think they thought I’d be entertained by them. Poor people were probably wondering what they had done when I walked out of the theater after Stardust blabbing away about Babylon Candles and Blue Flowers. I owe so much to that movie, for introducing me to the grander world of the mythically crazy. It’s still my favorite silly film, though ;)

Let me clarify my definition of silly. Silly is something turned on its head just because it can. Flipping words, oxymorons, sensical nonsense, making small objects fill big spaces, and making big objects fit in small spaces, those kind of things. General nonsense that sounds amusing…but might be meaningful. Which is my favorite thing about the Silly, that so many different people take different things away from it.

This is definitely lighter Silly and very fun to read. Not for everyone, but perfect for some, I’d dare say.

No comments:

Post a Comment