Saturday, May 24, 2014

Phoenix and Ashes by Mercedes Lackey

Phoenix and Ashes by Mercedes Lackey
Series: Elemental Masters, #4
Published: October 4, 2004
Publisher: DAW Books
Pages: 480

In this dark and atmospheric rendition of the Cinderella fairy tale, an intelligent young Englishwoman is made into a virtual slave by her evil stepmother. Her only hope of rescue comes in the shape of a scarred World War I pilot of noble blood, whose own powers over the elements are about to be needed more than ever.

"A dark tale full of the pain and devastation of war...and a couple of wounded protagonists worth routing for." —Locus
I'm glad to say this is still my favorite of the Elemental Masters books. The first time I read it (must've been five years ago), I remember immediately reading it again because I loved it so much.
I'm not sure what it is about this book that is so appealing, but I think a lot of it goes back to Lackey's skills at their best. She had a good idea, and the time to flesh it out, and the result is a good story.

Another big appeal is the fairytale retelling. This is Lackey's version of Cinderella, and she balances just the right amount of the story we know with her version. It means that you're constantly turning the pages to get to "that part" that you know and love, but at the same time, you have know idea how it's going to play out. And this is a technique easier said than done, but Lackey masters it with this book.

It's also the first story with a fire and air master, and I think that in and of itself lends the characters to very different (and in my opinion better) personalities. These characters are more likely to take action instead of thinking about taking action, and it's a lot of fun to read.

This is one of those books that I would really have liked more from at the end - the fantasy genre tends to leave you feeling like that, but the way Lackey has set herself up without these books, she can't really do that. It's unfortunate really, because I think a large reason I love fantasy is the multiple series in the same universe across generations. But it is what it is. And Lackey does have guest appearances from characters in other books (a certain female doctor got quite a bit of page time in this novel), which is always fun.

If you are partial to fairytale retellings, and fantasy, definitely at least pick this book up, if the other books in the series did not interest you. It stands out, and is such a fun read.

No comments:

Post a Comment