Friday, May 30, 2014

Review: Untold by Sarah Rees Brennan

Untold by Sarah Rees Brennan
Series: The Lynburn Legacy, #2
Published: September 24, 2013
Publisher: Random House
Pages: 367

It's time to choose sides.... 

On the surface, Sorry-in-the-Vale is a sleepy English town. But Kami Glass knows the truth. Sorry-in-the-Vale is full of magic. In the old days, the Lynburn family ruled with fear, terrifying the people into submission in order to kill for blood and power. Now the Lynburns are back, and Rob Lynburn is gathering sorcerers so that the town can return to the old ways.

But Rob and his followers aren’t the only sorcerers in town. A decision must be made: pay the blood sacrifice, or fight. For Kami, this means more than just choosing between good and evil. With her link to Jared Lynburn severed, she’s now free to love anyone she chooses. But who should that be?

A darkly humorous take on Gothic romance, Sarah Rees Brennan's Lynburn Legacy weaves together the tale of a heroine desperate to protect those she loves, two boys hoping to be saved, and the magical forces that will shape their destiny.
So I should say a few things. Firstly, and least importantly, I really miss the old cover scheme. Second, I do not remember for the life of me why I gave this book 3 stars back in October when I rated it on Goodreads.
I've failed you guys. It was bound to happen eventually - for some of you readers, maybe it's already happened and you just really hate me or something. But I'll try to give this a go.

I'm pretty sure the only character I wasn't pissed at sometime during this book was Rusty. Rusty is a genuine person, and it's so nice to see. I wish more people like him existed in real life, let alone literature.

So that means Kami and Jared managed to piss me off. And the plot. The Kami and Jared thing I can forgive because they are characters who develop and make mistakes to develop. But the plot. From what I remember, it was convoluted. And sometimes unnecessary. Which is annoying because the first book was sooooo good and this book did not live up to it. It makes me wonder if all the unique conventions and utilization of the modern Gothic that Brennan created in the first book were the main draw...and now it's not enough to sustain an entire book by itself. Sure, the first book had the usual from Brennan - good characters and a heart wrenching plot. But it was good because of the Gothic twist. Now? Well, the Gothic twist is no longer a new factor, and all we're left with is good characters and heart (I should change that to gut) wrenching plot. Which is also nothing new and a familiar formula I can expect from Brennan. And this time, the age showed, so to speak. Not that showing age is bad, it's just a bad metaphor, and clearly I'm not very good at this so let's move on, shall we?

I find myself wanting to see Brennan test herself. I want all authors to! And I do think the good authors are the ones who continually push themselves (and this could be said for most professions in life). But it's a risk because it doesn't always work out. On the other hand, at this rate Brennan is developing a formula, and it's not a good formula to overuse. I desperately want to see her to continue trying new things with these books because there is such potential. And I don't think she succeeded with the second book, and if I'm honest with myself, I don't see it happening with any of her books in the near future. Which is unfortunate, but I'll definitely continue at least this series and keep everyone posted on how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment