Saturday, May 24, 2014

Review: The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson
Series: Fire and Thorns, #1
Published: September 1, 2011
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Pages: 423

Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness.Elisa is the chosen one. 

But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can't see how she ever will. 

Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess.

And he's not the only one who seeks her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people's savior. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake.

Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn’t die young.

Most of the chosen do.
 I actually reviewed the second book in this series first. Mostly because I did not reread this first book for the second book (which I normally do), and this book came out well before I started this blog. So sorry for going out of order, but I did reread this book when the final book came out, so you do get a review!

This book is definitely on my favorite book lists. I can't even express how much I love it. I'd argue, and I've actually tested this, if you're normally not a fan of high fantasy, you will love this anyway. Despite, or maybe because, being set in a completely different universe, the story, characters, and tragedies are completely real.

Let's start with Elisa. She's one of the most realistic female character's I've read in years. To this day I find it hard to find anyone else to measure up to her. I think the reason for this is that she has some of the most character growth, and from a place I've never read before in literature. I really don't want to say too much because it's a pleasure to read this book blind, and I think that's the only way to do it. So just take my word for it, this book is worth it for her journey alone.

The other beautiful things about this book is the 1) universe and 2) plot. First, the universe. Carson makes it so believable because she dares to include things that are very much apart of our world, but generally are cut out of fantasy because they are things the authors don't agree with, or have knowledge about. Carson made the expert decision though to include it all, and I don't know how she did her research, but it was remarkably conducted. As for the plot, well, I've never raved about a plot before. So believe me when I say it is excellent and beautiful and thought provoking. I love that I love the plot. Normally it is the last thing on my list, because without good characters and world building, a good plot is irrelevant. But it's a remarkable thing to see them all working together in harmony with equal levels of excellence.

So if you're not already, go read this book. It's extremely underrated, but everyone I've ever convinced to read it has been blown away (this includes college professors, I'll have you know). It's an incredible journey, and well worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment